Thursday, April 30, 2009

Using Twitter as A Marketing Tool

As I mentioned previously I signed up for Twitter just on a whim...I really had no clue what this whole thing was all about. I thought, why not? It might be good for business. So I started tweeting...at first, about nothing significant. Then I saw the light and realized the power of this community. Now granted, I probably am not truly using it to its fullest potential. But I am learning. So I thought I might pass along some of this knowledge to you as well. Like I said...I am definately no pro, but I am learning...so learn along with me.

First and foremost....don't spam Twitter. Make your tweets meaningful and relevant. It may be tempting to do this...and sometimes you may not even realize you are doing this. But if you spam, eventually no one will want to read your tweets. And to be quite honest, I have started following people and they are spammer, which has led me to stop following them. I lost interest in what they had to say, because most of the time it was nonsense.

Second...know what you intend to promote when you start posting to Twitter. This is absolutely paramount when it comes to understanding how to get the most out of Twitter marketing in order to drive business to your website or your blog. If you know your product well, and you understand what it is going to take to market it, then you are already a step ahead of everyone else, and this is a really good place for you to be. And this is where I tend to fall down. I know what I want to promote...but I tend to drive most traffic to my blog...not my store. I need to work harder on this one...bring people into my store.

This next tip sort goes along with tip #1.....avoid over promoting your own product. While you can and should post about your product or service in your twitter posts, do not make this the sole focus of your Twitter account.

And the final tip I have to offer is in order to get the most out of your Twitter marketing, it is vitally important that you learn how to participate in the community and communicate properly in the process. Twitter is largely a community based SOCIAL networking site, so while you may be blogging on the site for your own business purposes, you will not get anywhere unless you are willing to participate in the conversation. Communicate with other businesses, customers and other individuals as well to get the word out about your business and to share something of yourself with the rest of the community.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info! I am just getting used to it...just starting to learn how it works. I think I over tweeted yesterday. I am learning. For every little piece of info I learn, I feel, there is sooo much more I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you - people shouldnt over spam messages and should make them meaningful on Twitter... I have also recently joined Twitter... I hope it will lead to some meaningful sales soon too! Good luck! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for the tips! I'll definitely be keeping these things in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly said! I have also stopped following people on Twitter because of SPAM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Great post. The key is a two-way conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    I'm quite new to twitter too and overall I love it!
    There are so many wonderful people and its a great way to promote yourself as wel as other people.

    ReplyDelete